Join us for a breakfast forum at Andrei’s Restaurant in Irvine!
Odd Duck Plans
Thursday, May 19, 2022
8:00 am to 9:45 am
At our final breakfast forum of the season we are excited to bring four experts to discuss powerful yet often underappreciated plan types. Join our panel of experts to learn about four odd duck plans.
- What they are and who can sponsor them
- Unique characteristics and how they compare to 401(k) plans
- Recent developments
Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- What is an ESOP
- How and why are they used as an ownership succession vehicle
- What are the tax advantages associated with ESOPs
- Qualifying an ESOP candidate
- Servicing an ESOP-owned company
Cash Balance Plans
- What are Cash Balance Plans and why use them
- Cash Balance considerations and who are the ideal candidates
- Cash Balance case studies
Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Plans
- Not subject to most of ERISA requirements
- Internal Revenue Code requirements and types of plans
- Advantages and disadvantages
Marcus PiquetMarcus founded Ambrose ESOP Advisors, LLC in 2002 as a response to demand for better Third‐Party Administration services from the ESOP clients of the CPA firm he was associated with at the time. Since that time Marcus has become a trusted advisor to ESOP‐owned companies throughout the nation. Marcus’ passion is for helping companies maximize the value they receive from their ESOPs by helping them truly understand and make sense of the many complicated issues they face. Marcus is an active Certified Public Accountant in California with knowledge and experience in individual, trust & estate taxation as well as consulting for audit and tax engagements for ESOP‐sponsoring companies. He graduated from Brigham Young University after a two‐year mission in Buenos Aires, Argentina where he became fluent in Spanish. He is a proud husband and father of three sets of twins.
Gail Brannock, JD, CPA, has over 25 years’ experience in business, wealth, and tax planning and has worked in the financial services industry since 2000. At Nationwide, Gail’s focus is on business continuation planning and non-qualified executive benefits. Gail has experience in buy/sell strategies as well as nonqualified deferred compensation, executive bonus, and split-dollar planning. Gail has her Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting from Georgia Southern University and her Juris Doctor from University of Georgia School of Law. Gail is member of the State Bar of Georgia and is licensed as a Certified Public Accountant. Gail’s focus is primarily on helping business owners prepare for retirement and business succession and provide life insurance based incentives for key executives.
Katrina has employee benefits in her blood – many of her relatives have worked in retirement plan administration – but she is the first ERISA attorney in the family. Katrina enjoys working through and solving the puzzle of employee benefits with her clients. Over the course of her career, Katrina has advised both private and public sector clients on issues related to employee benefits, with a particular focus on retirement and health plan compliance, mergers and acquisitions, and the drafting, operation, and design of all types of retirement plans. Katrina also advises and counsels clients regarding nonqualified deferred compensation plans. Katrina has represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the United States Department of Labor, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, and the California Public Employees' Retirement System. In her free time, Katrina is an avid reader and singer. She is on the Board of Directors of the Orange County Women’s Chorus.
For the last 20+ years, Phuong has enjoyed working with financial advisors, CPAs and other trusted advisors helping their business clients in tax-deductible plan design and strategies. She started out her retirement plans career learning legal plan documents at a local TPA firm and have worked her way through plan administration, compliance, relationship management to now her current role as Regional VP in business development/sales capacity for the last 7+ years. All this has allowed Phuong to be well-versed in the area of retirement plan design and compliance for defined contribution and defined benefit plans. Phuong attained the ASPPA Qualified 401(k) Administrator (“QKA”) designation in 2016 and continues to stay current with retirement plan design trends and regulatory compliance requirements. Phuong is passionate about helping people and earning the trust of those she works with. This along with her strong work ethic has allowed her to become a “trusted advisor” to clients, advisors, partners and other business professionals.
- 2 CE for AIF (pending)
- 2 CECs for ERPA (pending)
- 2 CPEs for ASPPA certifications
- 2 CECs for NIPA certifications
- 2 hours for California CPAs
- 1.75 hours of California MCLE
- 2 hours for Certified Financial Planners (pending)
- 2 CE for CRPS
- 2 CE for CEBS
Doors open at 7:30 am for check-in, breakfast and networking. Our program will begin at 8:00 am and this program will end at approximately 9:45 am. The registration fee includes a full breakfast buffet and hosted valet parking.
The reservation deadline for this event is Monday, May 16th.
- WP&BC Members can bring a guest for free! This is a wonderful opportunity to introduce your peers and colleagues to our Chapter. Remember, your guest should be a first-time visitor and potential member. Look for the free guest offer when you register online
- The statements and materials presented at WP&BC Orange County Chapter events are solely the opinions of the speakers and do not represent the opinions or positions of WP&BC Orange County Chapter. In addition, WP&BC Orange County Chapter assumes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the statements and materials presented by speakers at WP&BC Orange County Chapter events.